Thursday, March 5, 2009

About Me

My name is Lauren, and I have been struggling with epilepsy for twelve years now.

I first started having seizures in the summer of 1997, but I didn't know it. At the time, I had no idea what epilepsy was so I dismissed what I would learn were seizures as daydreaming and paid no attention to the fact that I lost awareness and memory for minutes at a time.

That August brought my first day in ninth grade. I was waiting for the school bus, alone and flute in hand, when I had my first known grand mal seizure. I remember wondering what happened as I dusted the dirt off my knees as my school books and flute lay scattered on the ground. My mother took me to the hospital and I was diagnosed with epilepsy. Finally, everything made sense. The unexplained bumps and bruises, my bitten tongue, and the weird feelings I had been experiencing several months prior. As long as I take my six pills each morning and evening, I do not have to worry about having another grand mal seizure.

Unfortunately, the complex partial seizures I experience up to eight times a week have yet to cease. After seven years of living with uncontrolled seizures, seven years of medical appointments, neurological testing and countless medication changes, I was referred to the Minnesota Epilepsy Group. I had a right temporal lobectomy in August of 2004 and for seven months I lived a normal life. I was even able to enroll in driver's education for the first time, and almost acquired my learner's permit. In March of 2005 I noticed that I was daydreaming as I had in 1997 and the years afterward. I called them episodes and began recording when they occurred. After several weeks had passed I knew I was not just daydreaming, my seizures had returned.

That is where I am now. More testing, more medication, more frustration. When I wake up in the morning I find myself wondering how many seizures I will have before the sun goes down. Will I be able to do this, will it be safe to do that, and how will epilepsy affect me today? I dream that someday I will have the same freedom that millions of other people have and not have to worry about seizures interrupting where I live, what I do, where I work. I pray that someday my dreams will come true.

2 comments:

  1. Here's wishing you all the best and that your dreams really do come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SARAH MORGANc
    Blogger SARAH MORGAN said...
    WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT EVER HAPPEN TO MY LIFE. My name is sarah, i was sick of cancer for past two years. my mum and my sister have taken me to all kind of hospital and different places still yet no good result. my sister decided to go through the internet and search for cancer cure she find a lady called HUGHES LAURIE testimonies, to the world about the goodness Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine cure.
    The man who know the herbal root to cure all kind of disease in all area the herbal man email is drrealakhigbe@gmail.com So we decided to contact the herbal man for my cancer to cure. My sister contacted him and told him
    my problem he replied my sister that I should not worry that my cancer will be
    cure, he also said that there is a herbal medicine that he is going to prepare for me to drink for three weeks to make me heal, that we are to only pay for the delivery services.. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my mum paid for the delivery services fee. four days later I received the herbal medicine from the courier services so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the three weeks complete i was healed completely and it was like a dream to me my mum and my sister we were very happy about the miracle of Dr Akhigbe. my mum wanted to pay him money the herbal man did not accept the offer from my mum, but , he only said that I should tell the world about the work of his herbal medicine so am now here telling the world now .He call his nick name as the godfather of herbalism, he also cures diseases like: HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,ALS,EPILEPSY, HEPATITIS A AND B,DIABETES. If you or your relative having any kind of diseases and you cant get cure from the hospital please email; drrealakhigbe@gmail.com or whatapp him on +2348142454860 he own the cure and will cure you.

    ReplyDelete